Thursday, December 31, 2009

Asperger's New Year's Resolutions: Part Two

5: I resolve to give myself a break when I utterly fail to follow through on my commitments. I have some distractibility and am most excited by “the new thing.” That’s part of my personality type as a visionary/innovator. I can modify it or try to moderate it, but I resolve not to wallow in it.

4: I resolve not to spend more than one hour in a funk when I don’t get my way. I tend to pout about disappointments—and I’m sure pouting doesn’t make me a better person.

3: I resolve to start more of my days connecting with God, His word, my faith, righteousness, trying to be Christlike, and trying to bear the image faithfully. I don’t think having Asperger’s give me a pass on walking in truth. I resolve to live like I believe.

2: I resolve not to take people for granted. I love my wife. I treasure my kids. I look forward to celebrating 21 years next week at our favorite restaurant. As the little ones grow up and become my adult kids, I regret time not spent and wish for some more. I have some more with my kids still at home, so I resolve not to waste it.

1: I resolve to do the next right thing. 2009 was a lousy year. All the important things ended great, but there were so many valleys along the way. We had multiple cancer scares, two major surgeries, upheaval at work and challenges at school. Plus, a third child graduated and launched into the world. There were many days when the long view was so cloudy I had to retreat to the front of my nose and just do the next right thing. I want to remember those many lessons and keep doing one right thing in a row. Some year I’ll graduate to at least two right things in a row, but for 2010 a modest resolution, well kept, is sufficient.

Happy New Year! May your 2010 be blessed and may you be a blessing to all.


____________________

More insights from the Asperger's Expert are on the main page.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever read Elizabeth Elliott? After having two husbands die traumatically someone asked her how she continued to live and minister. She said, "I just get up and do the next thing."

    I like your attitude about Asperger's. In fact, Aspergers is how God designed you and He has a purpose in mind for you, something only you can do. That's how we celebrate our son's Asperger's. He looks at life so differently from us and it is a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Corrie,

    I am familiar with Elizabeth's story. I'm sure reading about her and Jim influenced my ideas about grief and perseverance, as did C.S. Lewis. I also find echoes in the character of Sam in Sleepless in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...