Thursday, December 31, 2009

10 Asperger’s Resolutions for 2010: Part 1


10: I resolve not to freak out over the probable elimination of the term “Asperger’s Syndrome” from the DSM V. I am not Asperger’s and Asperger’s is not me. I can still be who I am with some other label.

9: I resolve to practice a new social courtesy every day for the month of January. I will greet, make eye contact, thank, indulge, ask after, tolerate, those I live and work with.

8: I resolve not to excuse my crusty behavior as an expression of AS. I control what I do, even if I can’t always control who I am.

7: I resolve to enjoy my trains. Training with my son is a pleasurable and appropriate distraction. I won’t regret the time we spend together.

6: I resolve not to resent people who are acting in their own interests. I act in my own interests all the time, so fair’s fair. If it is in someone’s interests to disagree with me, refuse me permission, correct me, etc. it isn’t necessarily personal. I resolve to get and maintain a grip.


_________________________
More insights from the Asperger's Expert are on the main page.

2 comments:

  1. I like these. They don't even have to be for those with Asperger's, except for maybe the first.

    I should resolve to teach my son with Asperger's to shake hands and make eye contact this year. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have to choose between handshaking (uncomfortable physical connection) and eye contact (uncomfortable psychological contact). Some of us struggle to do both at once, especially when we're young. My 17-year old is just getting proficient at greeting and eye contact.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...