Thursday, May 28, 2009

Physical Frustrations #2: Protecting those Affected

Many of us on the spectrum struggle with physical environments and tasks. Here are two strategies to help students in classroom and other school settings.

1.                    Help me control environmental stimuli.
Light, sound, odors, and textures are not simply preferences as they may be with some others. These environmental factors can be incapacitating. For example, whenever I enter a classroom or meeting space, I always find the direction of the most sunlight and then sit with my back to it. When teachers assign seating, they sometimes forget to consider that sitting by the clock or next to the hallway can be very distracting for me. I can adjust, by shutting down, but this affects my performance in class. The stimuli in even a normal classroom can be too much for me. I need a way to block out at least some of those distracters. Special seating, a “calming spot” or the option to leave can all give me the security I need to cope. Even when I don’t exercise these options, knowing they are there is calming and helps me maintain composure.

2.                    Recognize my physical challenges. Distractions are minor compared to the potential catastrophe of physical performance. In classes where physical competence is expected, I can fail with spectacular and miserable results. P.E. Classes are a major culprit, as motor clumsiness and social awkwardness combine to make me especially inept at team sports. Situations where I am expected to learn by trial and error are an invitation to meltdown. While others might learn from striking out or missing a shot, I spiral into a cycle of futility and frustration—sure that I cannot succeed. This is usually reinforced by the snickering assessment of my peers. Don’t join them. Warn me in advance when you plan to introduce new skills or physical tasks. Give me a chance to prepare for the science labs or art projects that require fine motor control. Plan  roles for me in PE that protect me from being the odd one out. Please.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...