Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I wouldn't trade you for your twin...a free-form letter from this Asperger's Dad to my Asperger's son

David,


I wouldn’t trade you for your twin.

 

The day you were born, your average twin disappeared

I spent nine months and more planning for your twin

He was the child with a bright mind and ordinary senses

Certainly he would be above average, but not too far

He was predictable and normal in every way


•Reading at a normal pace, 

(not instantly like you)

•He would drift from enthusiasm to interest

(without your intense commitment)

•He would see some possibilities and creativities

(but not all of them)

 

When I planned for your twin, I failed to plan for you.

 

I didn’t expect your amazing powers of perception.

Your ability to find mistakes in every textbook

Your ability to hear a ticking clock from across the room

Your ability to detect minute differences in fabrics

Your care and compassion for people who don’t expect it

 

I didn’t know a person could be so creative, finding music in materials, a rainbow in paint swatches…

 

Your insight and intelligence were a complete surprise.  You think on such a different level

 

I planned for a child with normal senses—with dull hearing and a soft touch.  

I didn’t know to hope for someone with super-sensitivity and super intelligence.

 

It took me years to figure out that we had David, not your twin.  

But knowing that, I wouldn’t trade you in.

 

Dad

 


2 comments:

  1. My son is now almost 14 years old and ever since he was a little thing we always repeated the phrase "I wouldn't trade you for NOTHING!!!" It's nice to know that someone else understands that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got teary reading this. My children are just barely out of step with their peers, enough that there are moments I catch myself looking for the "twin" I expected. Then I feel guilty and realize that for all my children's quirks and challenges, they are mine and we fit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...