Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Asserting for an Excellent IEP: Seven Non-Threatening Questions



Parents, as you prepare to go back to school, you may participate in IEP or other meetings to build support for your child in the new school year. Since IEP and other meetings can degrade into adversarial contests, here are some questions you can ask to assertively clarify your expectations right from the start.

1. What has worked well for other students with Asperger’s at this school?

_________________________________________________________________

2. What strategies can we put in place to help teachers and my child de-escalate conflict?

3. What kinds of self-calming behaviors or objects will you support?

4. My child needs a “safe person” to go to in times of stress. Who can fill that role?

5. My child is especially interested in ________________. How can you leverage that interest for academic success?

6. What plans do you have to protect my child from social trauma during unstructured time such as bus rides, lunch time and recess?

7. What information or access can I provide to help you support my child?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...